Looking for scientists with a deep understanding of decentralised technologies and an ambition to lead a high performance research team.
HEAD OF RESEARCH AT WEB3 FOUNDATION
The Web3 Foundation nurtures and stewards technologies and applications for a privacy preserving and decentralised web. We work on a range of cryptographic and consensus protocols that have emerged as crucial building blocks of decentralized systems in general, and the Web3 ecosystem in particular. We are the opposite of a big data company.
Our core project at the moment is Polkadot, a protocol designed to connect blockchains and allow them to interoperate, share security, and more. In addition to that, we support the development of a number of technologies that form the Web 3.0 tech stack such as privacy technologies, decentralized messaging, and distributed storage or secret management.
We conduct cutting-edge research that is both theoretically exciting and expected to have a dramatic real world impact by helping to replace centralised infrastructure. To help realise this goal we work closely with academics and development teams to design and then deploy world-class components of large-scale distributed systems.
We explore a remarkable array of research topics within our mandate to steward distributed technologies, including:
- Cryptographic protocols
- Consensus algorithms
- Game theory and mechanism design
- Censorship resistance
- Privacy technologies
Our diverse cryptographic research topics include:
- Advanced signature schemes
- Distributed random number generation
- Zero-knowledge proofs and their optimisations
- Multiparty computation
- Set the research agenda in alignment with development collaborators
- Ensure alignment and productivity of the research team members
- Keep an overview of research topics and participate in research when needed
- Initiate and manage research collaborations
- Manage composition of the research team including identifying hiring needs
- Coordinate efforts to deliver high quality research papers along with good internal documentation
- Represent the Web3 Foundation at conferences and share technical information with the community
- Postdoc or professor level experience in Mathematics, Theoretical Computer Science, or a related field, or equivalent background
- Experience contributing to research communities that require mathematical rigor, preferably including proofs of security and correctness
- Experience designing cryptographic protocols or distributed algorithms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated innovation in cryptography or distributed algorithms
- Experience with blockchain technology
- Experience mentoring, creating technical documentation or blog posts
- Demonstrated ability to set and execute a research agenda
- Experience developing research collaborations and managing contractors
- Competitive compensation and travel opportunities
- Regular research retreats at unique locations around Europe
- Opportunity to work on a diverse team of varied professional backgrounds (i.e. computer science, algorithm design, events, communications, legal, financial products, management consulting, marketing & advertising, etc.)
To apply for this position, we kindly ask you to submit your CV with a cover letter telling us a bit about yourself, your motivation to join us by clicking Apply or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web3 Foundation website: https://web3.foundation/
Web3 links: https://github.com/w3f/Web3-wiki
Polkadot website: https://polkadot.network/
Polkadot research: http://research.web3.foundation/en/latest/polkadot/