Location: San Francisco, CA About us:
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 50 countries. With the success of our flagship product, Coinbase Consumer, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are now proud to offer an entire suite of products that make accessing cryptocurrencies easy and secure, in addition to new products that operate at the frontiers of crypto and blockchain.
The Identity Team plays a critical role in executing on that vision-our mission is to swiftly and accurately answer the questions "who is this customer?" (i.e. authentication) and "is this customer who they say they are?" (i.e. verification). We take on hard engineering problems like secure user authentication, ID document verification using Machine Learning and biometric identity verification, with a focus on building high reliability services for product teams.
This is where you come in-you'll work closely with compliance, fraud, security, customer success, infrastructure and product teams to build Identity backend systems that will help us scale Coinbase.com to serve our next 100 million customers. If you're excited by designing scalable and secure services and delivering a great user experience around Identity authentication and verification, we should talk.
A little about our team: we're a full-stack team with experts in backend, frontend, product and design and we take efficient execution to heart. We are thoughtful about code quality, testing and architecture, we push code to production confidently multiple times a day, work primarily on microservices and have great monitoring, alerting and debugging tools for production. We value positive energy, continuous learning, and clear communication and are committed to building an inclusive environment for people from every background. What you'll be doing:
What we look for in you:
- Design, build and maintain backend services to solve problems like ID document verification, biometric identity verification, secure user authentication and watchlist reviews for both web and mobile teams.
- Write secure and high reliability services that talk to our Machine Learning systems, application services, data stores, and can withstand large fluctuations in traffic.
- Decompose our monolithic Rails app into microservices
- Articulate a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our backend systems.
- Work with engineers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Add positive energy in every meeting, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
Nice to haves:
- You have at least 5 years of experience in software engineering.
- You've designed, built, scaled and maintained production services, and know how to compose a service oriented architecture.
- You write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
- You're passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
- You have experience decomposing a large monolith into microservices.
- You've worked with Golang, Ruby, Docker, Sinatra, Rails, Postgres, MongoDB or Redshift.
- You've built financial, high reliability or security systems.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.