We are seeking an experienced Litigation and Privacy Counsel to join Circle's world-class Legal and Compliance team to help us meet our ambitious goals and to provide the best possible customer experience. We are looking for someone who is team-oriented, self-motivated, and capable of effectively managing competing priorities. You will be responsible for assisting with litigation matters and regulatory inquiries that Circle might encounter, and partnering with business teams to identify privacy and cybersecurity risks and solutions. You will be joining a fun, fast-paced legal team working collaboratively on novel legal issues. What You'll Work On
What you'll bring to Circle
- Develop and drive strategy for response to litigation and regulatory inquiries.
- Help manage company disputes, investigations, and insurance claims from a strategic, tactical, and operational perspective.
- Identify potential litigation risks and counsel the business to minimize exposure, including coordinating with Customer Experience and Compliance teams to develop best practices on issue mitigation and complaint response to prevent litigation and consumer protection complaints before they arise.
- Manage outside counsel to ensure that all aspects of Circle's legal representation are of the highest quality, including overall strategy and the day-to-day running of matters.
- Deeply understand existing U.S. federal, state, and global privacy and cybersecurity laws and regulations and apply those laws and regulations in practice with our product and engineering teams.
- Create enterprise-wide policies and plans for cybersecurity and privacy, including training and incident response planning.
- Work with senior corporate counsel to draft customer terms and conditions, contracts with third parties, and corporate policies and standards related to privacy and cybersecurity.
- Actively monitor and advise on local and global legal developments related to litigation, privacy, and cybersecurity.
- 5+ years experience as a litigator at a top tier law firm, regulated consumer financial services company, and/or government agency, with 3+ years working directly (but not exclusively) on privacy and cybersecurity law.
- Significant experience managing a broad range of litigation matters, internal investigations, and regulatory investigations, including developing and implementing matter strategy.
- Significant experience drafting responses to demand letters and responses to subpoenas from government agencies and managing related processes.
- Experience advising on insurance coverage and claims for litigation, investigation, and employment matters.
- Significant experience providing commercial, regulatory, and policy advice in the areas of data protection, privacy law and cybersecurity.
- In-depth knowledge and experience analyzing and applying laws, regulations, and corporate policies related to U.S. privacy laws, including GLBA and state privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act; Global privacy laws, including GDPR FCC and FTC consumer privacy rules, including TCPA and UDAAP.
- Knowledge of and expertise in working with the applicable regulatory agencies overseeing privacy and cybersecurity regulations.
- A strong interest in cryptocurrency and fintech in general.
- Superior communication skills and comfort engaging with business leaders, external counsel and regulators on topics critical to Circle's success.
- Discretion with highly confidential business information.
- Law Degree (JD) from a leading accredited law school and bar admission in MA (or available to become admitted).
Circle is a global crypto finance company, built on blockchain technology, powered by crypto assets, and dedicated to helping people and institutions create and share value globally. With our suite of products, we enable our customers to send and receive money around the world easily, as well as invest in and trade crypto assets. In March 2019, Circle acquired SeedInvest, the largest equity crowdfunding platform in the United States, as well as a licensed broker-dealer.
Circle was founded in 2013 by internet entrepreneurs Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville. We're backed by $250 million from investors including Jim Breyer (Facebook), Goldman Sachs, IDG Capital (Baidu, Tencent), General Catalyst (AirBnB, Snapchat), Accel Partners, and Bitmain, with offices in Boston, New York, San Francisco, Dublin, London and Hong Kong.
We are an equal opportunity employer
and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.