Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 50 countries. With the success of our flagship product, Coinbase Consumer, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are now proud to offer an entire suite of products that make accessing cryptocurrencies easy and secure, in addition to new products that operate at the frontiers of crypto and blockchain.
We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company domestically and internationally. We are looking to hire a strong Regulatory Counsel to advise on state regulatory matters, with a focus on money transmitter license requirements. You will partner with our internal departments to develop procedures and manage legal risk to ensure compliance with Coinbase's high standards. As we expand our offerings, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact. Responsibilities:
- Liaise with state regulators on a wide variety of regulatory matters, including routine inquiries, exam coordination and preparation, questions about periodic filings, issues involving consumer complaints, and investigations.
- Oversee periodic filings, annual renewals, and new license applications for money transmission.
- Advise on state money transmitter requirements, BSA/AML compliance, and consumer protection laws.
- Assist with investigation and responses to consumer complaints, and work on cross-functional teams to escalate and resolve product issues.
- Work as part of the Legal team and cross-functionally with other teams on a variety of regulatory and product matters.
- Work closely with members of the Legal team to develop and improve applicable systems, forms, processes, and procedures.
- Engage with trade and advocacy groups and stay abreast of regulatory developments.
- Coordinate regulatory billing matters with outside vendors and Legal team's e-billing solution.
- Contribute to miscellaneous legal projects that arise within the Legal team.
- J.D. degree with membership in at least one state bar (preferably California or New York).
- 5+ years of legal and regulatory experience (preferably a combination of law firm and in-house) within a relevant industry - Cryptocurrency, Fintech, Banking, Payments, Financial Markets, etc.
- Experience advising on consumer protection laws.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with the ability to present complex and sensitive issues to regulators and other outside groups, ideally with a track record of successful resolution of regulatory inquiries and matters.
- Superior analytical ability with experience owning projects from concept to finish.
- A collaborative style with the ability to work with little or no supervision.
- The ability to perform well under tight deadlines and thrive in a rapidly evolving environment
- Membership in at least one state bar (preferably California).
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to convey legal advice to internal business clients.
- Sound and practical business judgment.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.
- Experience with payments laws and regulations at state and federal level (e.g., Regulation E) and BSA/AML compliance.
- Interest in or basic knowledge in blockchain technology and cryptocurrency.