Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 50 countries. With the success of our flagship product, Coinbase Consumer, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are now proud to offer an entire suite of products that make accessing cryptocurrencies easy and secure, in addition to new products that operate at the frontiers of crypto and blockchain. Crypto Team:
Adding crypto assets and digital currencies is core to executing on our vision and building our brand of trust. The Crypto team builds shared infrastructure to make Blockchains and Crypto assets available on Coinbase and our other business units. We take on hard engineering problems in cryptography, security, blockchain technology and distributed systems, with a focus on building high reliability services for product teams. Your Role:
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for growing and leading an engineering team towards building and maintaining the next generation of Blockchain software at Coinbase. You will be responsible for managing the architectural design and iterative implementation of highly complex, mission-critical systems. Additionally you will set and ensure reliability and service level agreements for the services that your team owns. What you'll be doing:
What we look for in you:
- Leading and growing the engineering team responsible for building and maintaining Blockchain software at Coinbase.
- Breaking down complex projects into smaller pieces and iterating with the team on their design and implementation.
- Setting and maintaining Service Level Agreements and Reliability metrics for the systems that your team owns.
- Working closely with the Security and Infrastructure teams to ensure security and scalability of the systems that your team owns.
- Incident response, managing on-call rotation, and runbook creation.
- Project and capacity planning for your team.
- Mentoring Junior Engineering Managers and Tech leads.
Nice to haves:
- 5+ years of engineering management experience.
- Past experience with shipping complex/multi quarter projects.
- Experience creating, delivering, and operating multi-tenanted, distributed systems at scale.
- Track record of maintaining reliability and uptime of mission critical systems.
- Excellent understanding of Infrastructure and Distributed system.
- Being able to be hands-on when needed (e.g. take on-call rotations and review projects with engineers)
- Ability to do both long term thinking and short term planning.
- Being able to balance security and usability with novel approaches to isolation and access.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent .
- Embodying our values: Positive energy, continuous learning, clear communication, efficient execution, and commitment to building an inclusive environment
- Familiarity with Blockchains and Cryptography.
- Deep understanding of security best practices.
- Experience with Ruby or GoLang.
- Experience using Amazon Web Services, Lambdas, gRPC, Envoy or Kubernetes.
- Advanced degree (Master's and/or PhD) in math, computer science, statistics, engineering, or similar discipline.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.