Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 50 countries. With the success of our flagship product, Coinbase Consumer, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are now proud to offer an entire suite of products that make accessing cryptocurrencies easy and secure, in addition to new products that operate at the frontiers of crypto and blockchain.
As the Director of our development platform, you are responsible for bootstrapping the ecosystem of third-party developers and services that will enable us to execute on our mission of an open financial system. Unlike other product managers at Coinbase who focus on individual or institutional users, you obsess about developers and how to create an innovative, secure, and scalable platform to enable them. Consistent with the breadth of our vision, you have a broad challenge - everything from making trading algorithms easier to test and deploy for professional traders to making blockchain updates easier to respond to in the cloud to helping companies connect with our consumers through self service APIs is within your purview. You will partner with the entirety of Coinbase - every product, service team, and discipline - as you work to expose new and useful capabilities to developers. From developer portal design to API documentation to promoting our services on stage, you will wear many hats and spend much of your time meeting with, and learning from, our developers and customers.What you'll be doing:
What we look for in you:
- Create, own, operate, and expand our public APIs and developer portal.
- Market, advocate, and evangelize our developer platform and offerings; learn from developers and turn those learnings into actions by continuously improving our services, APIs, and architectures.
- Adopt the most modern and up-to-date technology approaches, such as Serverless, and incorporate them into our platform to accelerate developer productivity.
- Own and drive our efforts to catalog APIs, create first-class services (many of which will also be public), and align both internal and external APIs and services with our business strategy.
- Present API, SOA, and service strategy to the executive team. Collaborate with every team and discipline throughout the company to make our developer platform vision a reality.
- Zealously advocate, through conferences, blogs, customer visits, and social media, for Coinbase, its developer offerings, and its platform vision.
Nice to haves:
- Demonstrated ability to create and grow developer adoption (both individual and enterprise).
- Demonstrated success at owning and optimizing adoption and usage KPIs and related business metrics.
- Clear and crisp communicator. Able to successfully target audiences of 1 to 10,000 and from entry-level IC engineers to Board meetings. Fluid communicator of both aspirational vision and technically deep material, such as API specifications.
- Be able to lead and influence both with and without authority - you should be capable of leading organizations with dozens of members as well as project and product managing complex, cross-organizational outcomes without organizational ownership. Comfortable leading engineering, design, PM, documentation, and other disciplines, including hiring and developing those individuals.
- Demonstrated experience owning operations and incident response for enterprise-grade code.
- Minimum of 12 years of level-appropriate professional experience in a GM, CEO, CTO, technical Director of Product, or similar role/roles.
- 4 year Computer Science or equivalent degree.
- Deep and broad crypto knowledge, such as blockchain technology, defi, emerging Layer 2 solutions, etc.
- Knowledge of conventional financial systems and services, ideally from an implementation or product design perspective, such as broker/dealers, exchanges, quantitative analysis or high-frequency trading algorithms, margin and leverage, etc.
- Experience successfully designing and launching an enterprise-grade service/API in the cloud, or equivalent experience creating, delivering, and operating multi-tenanted, distributed systems at scale.
- Accomplished speaker with a public portfolio.
- MBA or equivalent on-the-job experience.
- Advanced degree (Master's and/or PhD) in math, computer science, statistics, engineering, or similar discipline.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.