Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 50 countries. With the success of our flagship product, Coinbase Consumer, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are now proud to offer an entire suite of products that make accessing cryptocurrencies easy and secure, in addition to new products that operate at the frontiers of crypto and blockchain.
Our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity to the world by building an open financial system. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone. Two principles guide our efforts. First, be the most trusted company in our domain. Second, create user-focused products that are easier and more delightful to use.
The Identity Team plays a critical role in executing on that vision-our mission is to swiftly and accurately answer the questions "who is this customer?" (i.e. authentication) and "is this customer who they say they are?" (i.e. verification). We pursue hard engineering problems like secure user authentication, ID document verification and biometric identity verification, with a focus on building a secure and frictionless user experience.
This is where you come - you'll work closely with compliance, fraud, security, customer success, infrastructure and product teams to build Identity backend systems that will help us scale Coinbase.com to serve our next 100 million customers. If you're excited by designing scalable and secure services and delivering a great user experience around Identity authentication and verification, we should talk!
A little about our team: we're a full-stack team with experts in frontend, backend and product and we take efficient execution to heart. We are growing our team and have lots of exciting projects lined up, so you will have a lot of ownership over the product and a substantial impact on our success! We are thoughtful about code quality, testing and architecture, we push code to production confidently multiple times a day and have great monitoring, alerting and debugging tools for production. We value positive energy, continuous learning, and clear communication and are committed to building an inclusive environment for people from every background. What you'll be doing:
What we look for in you:
- Build backend services and APIs that help us solve problems like user onboarding, international. expansion, ID document verification and secure user authentication for both web and mobile teams.
- Decompose our monolithic Rails app into microservices. Refactor existing systems to make them more robust, maintainable and scalable.
- Work with engineers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Add positive energy in every meeting, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
Nice to haves:
- You have at least 3 years of experience in software engineering.
- You've delivered multi-week projects and owned them from start to finish and beyond.
- You write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
- You're excited about hard problems and getting things done.
- You're passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
- You have experience working your way through large monolithic codebases.
- You've worked with Golang, Ruby, Docker, Sinatra, Rails, Postgres, MongoDB, Redshift and AWS.
- You've built systems in the identity, security or finance space.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.