Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 50 countries. With the success of our flagship product, Coinbase Consumer, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we play a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are now proud to offer an entire suite of products that make accessing cryptocurrencies easy and secure, in addition to new products that operate at the frontiers of crypto and blockchain. Application Security Team
Security is a primary competency at Coinbase, and the Application Security team ensures our technology maintains the high bar that has earned us the trust of millions of users who combined are buying, selling and storing billions of dollars worth of digital assets in our products. We measure ourselves by the impact of the work we do, striving to efficiently driving down technical risk at Coinbase. The nature of digital assets we custody causes our work to be focused entirely preventatively, and we fully embrace 'shifting left.' We're looking for kindred souls who believe security is collaborative and prevention is the only scalable security solution. Our developer team moves quickly. What you'll be doing:
What we look for in you:
- Threat modeling is the primary tool in our arsenal, and the primary way we help product teams drive towards a secure platform and helps us prioritize our time based on risk impact.
- Architecture reviews help us steer projects in the right direction early, while security code reviews and penetration testing keep us in the loop until they ship. We look to automate common tasks and patterns so that we don't have to churn through the same code twice. We have open sourced our Static Analysis orchestrator ( Salus ), and are always looking to make it better.
- We help develop the core services and dependencies that power the platform and abstract away sensitive functions so that products can be built safely.
- We spend time educating and training product teams on security topics and skills to extend AppSec's reach by deputizing product teams to help themselves.
Nice to haves:
- Our hiring process tests your competencies in our core technical skillset as described in the 'what you'll be doing' section. Having a history exhibiting high quality execution in our core competencies will help your case.
- We expect each individual of our team to embody our core principles: Collaborate and over communicate; Prioritize impact; Maintain a high personal standard; Share knowledge and experience; Drive a culture of ownership and responsibility.
- Our technical space spans many Protocols, Languages, and Frameworks. Having competency in at least one of them is a prerequisite. Currently, the areas are: Blockchains, AWS (Serverless & otherwise), Docker, Ruby (Rails and otherwise), Golang, NodeJS, Android (Java/Kotlin), iOS (Swift, ObjC), Python. We have more minor use-cases for Java, C/C++, and Rust.
- As a generalist, we expect you to be capable of shifting between executing on reviews, writing standards, and writing code.
- If you worked in a high security and/or highly regulated industry, we would love to have you extract the essentials of what you've learned and apply them to the unique challenges Coinbase faces in Digital Assets.
- If you have extensive experience securing large Rails, NodeJS, and Golang codebases, we can immediately start applying what you've learned to the code we are asked to secure. Even better if you've spent time training others on how to secure those codebases.
- If you're fluent in Digital Assets, you'll have less to learn about the fundamentals of our business, but we do not immediately decline candidates who are not totally fluent.
- If you have open source application security tooling to your name, we'd love to take a look and understand what problem you are solving and how your solution work. We heavily encourage Open Source contributions!
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.