Our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity to the world by building an open financial system. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone. Two principles guide our efforts. First, be the most trusted company in our domain. Second, create user-focused products that are easier and more delightful to use.
We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase in its rapid growth and international expansion. We are looking for exceptional counsel to lead legal matters for our Coinbase Custody business unit, the world's leading, institutional digital asset custody business.
Lead Counsel, Coinbase Custody, is based in our New York, New York or San Francisco, California office and will report to our VP, General Counsel of Business Lines and Markets. You will work on some of the most exciting and challenging legal issues that arise at the intersection of institutional asset custody and blockchain technology. This role will require creative and proactive legal guidance, often on matters of first-impression for regulators in the U.S. and abroad. As an integrated and embedded member of the Coinbase Custody team, you will develop deep expertise with our products and proactively assess legal risks and provide legal advice that will ultimately advance Coinbase's mission to create an open financial system for the world.
Collaborating closely with business executives and legal department colleagues, your responsibilities include taking a leadership role in advising our custodial business on regulatory strategy and compliance in the U.S. and abroad. You will also be responsible for providing prompt, incisive, and practical advice to the Coinbase Custody team on all general legal matters, working in close collaboration with in-house attorneys, outside counsel, and business partners across our institutional business units.
You'll be working in a team that operates very much like a rapid-growth startup, with a dynamic and intense environment and broad responsibility. As a whip-smart, forward-leaning, and innovative attorney, you will join as a core member of the custody team and partner with the business to ensure that we set the best-in-class standard as a transparent, reliable, and trustworthy custodian of digital assets and tokenized securities. Responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with custody of digital assets and tokenized securities, often safeguarded on behalf of institutional and registered investment advisor clients.
- Engage state and federal regulators on all questions related to authorization and operation of our custodial product.
- Provide legal advice to various teams from engineering, corporate development, communications, and leadership from initial stages of product development through launch and growth.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of legal requests and coordinate closely with legal department colleagues to ensure delivery of smart, practical advice.
- Continuously assess operating risks and legal needs to ensure Coinbase Custody continues to be the world's most trusted custodial asset business.
- At least five years relevant experience advising regulated custodial businesses, preferably from in-house at a large, U.S. clearing broker-dealer firm or bank.
- Practical experience advising broker-dealer, banks, trusts or other regulated custodial businesses with respect to the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, particularly including application and interpretation of the custody rule.
- Strong understanding of international reciprocity in relation to laws and authorizations relevant to operating clearing broker-dealer or asset custody businesses.
- Management experience preferred. You must be prepared to assess a broad scope of risks faced by the business and help build the team as the business scales.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, and business pragmatism.
- Must be active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.