Circle is a global internet finance company, built on blockchain technology, powered by crypto assets, and dedicated to helping people everywhere create and share value.
We've already made sending money around the world free and easy using blockchain technology with Circle Pay. With Circle Invest, we're expanding our offerings with a cryptocurrency investment product, enabling anyone to buy and sell crypto assets. Through Circle Trade, we're market makers for the top crypto coins and offer OTC trading services. In March 2018, Circle acquired Poloniex, one of the world's leading token marketplaces.
The Senior Regulatory Counsel can be based in Boston or New York and will be a leader in Circle's Legal team. You will be expected to provide solutions to complex legal problems in uncertain regulatory frameworks, advising the business on how existing or new blockchain-based product offerings can fit into existing regulatory schemes - and then execute on such plans. You will also work with the management team on how to engage with the CFTC and other key regulators in the creation of new regulations and in advocating for interpretive guidance or relief to help Circle meet its goals. You will be joining a fun, fast-paced and growing legal team working collaboratively together on novel legal issues. What you'll work on:
What you'll bring to Circle:
- Analyze Circle's current and future commodities offerings to assess regulatory requirements and advise senior management as to how to address regulatory requirements
- Serve as the point person for engagement with the CFTC and other key regulators and as the internal resource on regulatory questions related to commodities
- Stay on top of developments in the regulatory environment for blockchain and cryptocurrency offerings and advise management on new risks or opportunities
- Supervise and manage outside counsel to ensure that all aspects of Circle's legal representation are of the highest quality, including overall strategy and the day-to-day running of matters
- Coordinate with management and the product team to understand the operational and product development impact of regulatory frameworks
- 10+ years' experience at a regulated consumer financial services company, top tier law firm, and/or relevant government agency working with CFTC regulatory frameworks focused on trading and markets
- Significant experience at the CFTC including advising CFTC Commissioners preferred
- Passion and depth of experience with blockchain technology is preferred; willingness to learn more about blockchain technology and cryptocurrency is required
- Superior communication skills are crucial to this position. You should be comfortable engaging with the management team, external counsel and regulators on topics critical to Circle's success
- Must be comfortable providing legal guidance on short timelines and with limited information and then helping to execute on the business decision - even if it involves legal risks
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics. Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Commitment to diversity and a respect for others
Circle was founded in 2013 by internet entrepreneurs Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville. We're backed by $250 million from investors including Jim Breyer (Facebook), Goldman Sachs, IDG Capital (Baidu, Tencent), General Catalyst (AirBnB, Snapchat), Accel Partners, and Bitmain, with offices in Boston, New York, San Francisco, Dublin, London and Hong Kong.
Check us out at circle.com and download Circle Pay & Circle Invest for iOS and Android today.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About your personal information
We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal information. Please refer to our candidate privacy notice here. for more information on how we will be using your personal information. By submitting your application, you agree that you have read and understood the candidate privacy notice .