As the Director of Engineering, you’ll be responsible for building and maintaining our software products from technology selection through architecture & design, engineering build, test and release.
You’ll be leading a team of talented engineers in the areas of distributed computing, system design, networking, security and user interface design. Their work will have a profound impact at the crossroads of blockchain and capital markets infrastructure. We are Building world-class disruptive technologies that require vision, persistence, innovation, and a deep belief that nothing is impossible.
IOHK aspires to provide a working environment, culture and leadership team that foster continuous improvement on a daily basis, offering transparency, ownership and integrity. Wherever you decide to work, you will be supported by and be part of IOHK’s remote work culture that emphasizes online communication via Trello, Slack, GitHub, Hangouts.
- Prioritizing Business needs: Prioritising engineering goals to be aligned with commercial objectives.
- Security: Working with the Director of Cybersecurity by implementing security standards within development process.
- Product Roadmaps & Strategy: Working closely with the Product management, Project Management, DevOps and Executive teams to deliver the product roadmap & strategy.
- Technical Architecture: Providing technical and systems design expertise to assist in the architecture, development, implementation, and testing of software applications. Driving architectural decisions and designing solutions to resolve challenging problems.
- Software Project Delivery Improvements/Collaboration: Working closely with software engineers, QA, product managers and other engineering teams to get high-quality products and features through the software project lifecycle (build, test and release on time). Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing best practices and performing code reviews for the software development team. Follow appropriate coding standards.
- Establishing Engineering Policies and procedures: Establishing policies and procedures that produce high-quality software product and service. This includes, in particular, our developer’s handbook which guides how our engineers build software products, (are encouraged to) take initiative and collaborate with each other.
- Org Design, Planning As Is Processes & Delivery: Evaluating ‘as is processes’.
- Identifying improvement needs and developing improvement plans.
- Delivering within committed schedules.
- Leading Retrospectives and producing actionable results.
- Line Management
- Recruitment & Role Nurturing: Building and growing a team to innovate, invent, implement and deploy complex software solutions in a commercial, mission-critical environment.
- In conjunction with HR you’ll enhance team performance and set KPI’s that align to team and company goals. Establishing and managing project goals.
Skills & Requirements:
We expect to see:
- Blockchain: Understanding key areas of Blockchain research including data privacy, confidential transactions, side chains and pegging, sharding, lightning, and other scaling methodologies. Experience with major consensus protocols, asymmetric encryption, Merkle trees, hash functions, key-value database. Strong understanding of the cryptographic principles and data dependencies underpinning blockchain technologies. You have been leading or contributing to development projects on at least one blockchain codebase e.g. Hyperledger, Corda, Quorum. You have development experience of backend components e.g. network, ledger, cryptography, consensus.
- Execution & Solutions Oriented: You complete tasks efficiently and on time. You find ways to deliver and are solutions oriented.
- Technical Excellence: You maintain a level of technical excellence appropriate for the products we build.
- Communication: You maintain a continuous dialogue with your team, peers and senior leadership. There is clear and consistent understanding across the company about what you are delivering and what you expect from the team.
- Leadership: You empower engineers you manage to make the biggest impact possible for the company while reaching their professional goals.
- Strategic: You are consistently delivering projects on-time with quality. If a project is behind you know when to refocus energy from other efforts (hiring, planning, etc.) to figure out how to get obstacles out of the way to get the project back on track.
- Passionate/Evangelist: You understand that you are an evangelist for modern day software development practices. You stay apprised of all new software development methodologies. You have a strong sense of ownership and a passion to build quality products at massive scale in collaborative, agile environments. to learning and improvement.
What we value:
- Passion for working alongside people that want to build and deliver high quality products and services using world-class disruptive technologies
- Collaboration and Inclusion: Innovation happens when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust. You will help bring people into the conversation.
- Transparency: Trust is built on openness and transparency. For example, all our code is open source and we share information openly with communities and colleagues.
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision. We offer a dynamic working environment that suits people who are self-motivated and can work autonomously. You will naturally have strong communication and organisational skills and can work on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
In 2015 IOHK founders, Charles Hoskinson and Jeremy Wood, set out to cause cascading disruption, committed to using peer-to-peer innovations to provide financial services to the three billion people who don’t have them. They knew back then that they had to first create a place that was designed to enable such unprecedented ambition. A place where incredibly talented individuals are actually empowered to put their best work into the hands of millions of people to build on and explore new ways of working together. As IOHK continues to grow, we hope that these principles will serve each new person joining our ranks.
Some projects that we've recently completed or are working on:
When you apply… Please include an up-to-date resume. We also strongly encourage you to include a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working at IOHK and how you can make a difference by joining us.