Back To All Jobs Backend Engineer - Consumer (Platform)
San Francisco, CA
Our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity to the world by building an open financial system. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone. Two principles guide our efforts. First, be the most trusted company in our domain. Second, create user-focused products that are easier and more delightful to use.
The Coinbase Consumer team is critical to executing on both principles. We're focussed on building the easiest and most secure way for people around the world to invest in cryptocurrencies. We tackle hard engineering problems to build delightful user experiences and to keep our users' investments safe.
While you share in the delivery of features to Coinbase's users, you also have another critical customer base: the backend engineers who work on our Consumer apps. You'll work together to build backend abstractions that help our product teams move safer and faster (i.e. most trusted and easiest to use). Helping them create an agile, high-throughput environment through an API- and microservice-driven architecture will be one of your key deliverables. If you're excited by the problem spaces of designing performant services, delivering a great user experience, and building trustworthy financial systems, we should talk!
One of your largest challenges will be our monolithic Rails application, the Monorail. You'll chart a long term path for this codebase - through building safety tools and refactoring - that let's us dramatically scale the number of engineers working on our products while increasing quality and reliability of our systems. To accomplish this goal, you'll need to leverage past experience scaling while shipping to strike the right balance between speed and long term sustainability.
A little about our team: we're a cross-functional product team with experts in frontend, backend, product and design. We care deeply about our tools - we've built out a React based frontend, have continuous integration with multiple daily deploys, and are working on decomposing our rails API backend into smaller, encapsulated services. We value positive energy, continuous learning, and clear communication and are committed to building an inclusive environment for people from every background.
- Architect backend platform abstractions that help our product teams move with both speed and quality
- Design high reliability services that can withstand large fluctuations in traffic and trading volume.
- Collaborate with senior engineering leaders to chart a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our backend systems.
- Work with other platform engineers senior leadership to turn our product and technical vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Build and maintain backend services to solve hard problems like secure user authentication, cryptocurrency pricing and portfolio balancing
- Add positive energy in every meeting, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.
- You exhibit our core values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution
- You've designed, built, scaled and maintained production services
- You've participated in large-scale refactors of monolithic applications and operated in service oriented architecture at scale and understand the tradeoffs between different architectural approaches
- You have at least 5 years of experience in software engineering
- You know what high quality code - and software engineering processes - look like and know how to foster an environment that creates them
- You're passionate about building an open financial system for the world.