Back To All Jobs Director of Engineering (SMS, FI/HR/Legal)
San Francisco, CA
Coinbase is one of the Bay Area's fastest growing, most exciting startups. Having completed Series D funding in August 2017, we are in a unique position to develop new product lines, while continuing to scale our operations globally. Having opened offices in New York, Chicago, Portland and London, we are looking to expand rapidly in 2018 and 2019. If you have a positive, proactive, startup mentality, and are interested in joining a highly disruptive business on the forefront of the burgeoning cryptocurrency industry, I'd encourage you to apply today.
We are looking for a seasoned leader to establish an Engineering discipline in IT and drive practices like product quality, CI/CD and agile from day one.
We have an aggressive portfolio of brand new world class implementations like Oracle Financials, Workday HR and SFDC Sales and Service Cloud. The successful candidate will have significant previous experience and success in similar roles in rapidly growing environments, and a long track record of buy vs build decisions.
The growing IT Enterprise Applications and Architecture team is based in San Francisco, CA, with a global presence in other Coinbase offices. The Director of SMS & FILHR (Sales, Marketing, Support, Finance, Legal and HR) will report directly to the Sr. Director of Enterprise Applications and Architecture. Responsibilities:
- Drive the vision for a modern technology landscape based on the evolving business needs in the areas of Sales, Marketing, Support, Finance, Legal, and HR.
- Manage teams of Engineering Managers and their corresponding teams of Engineers, Product Owners, BSAs, Data Analysts.
- Responsible for all engineering practices for their area- Signal Lights Executive Cockpit, Product Quality, CI/CD.
- Complete PLAN, BUILD, RUN responsibilities:
- Responsible for meeting Production SLAs.
- Troubleshoot and fix production issues and help prioritise Red Cards against existing backlog based on severity and impact.
- Perform Quarterly Operational reviews with internal teams and outside vendors.
- Complete Platform Ownership: Management of Technical Debt and Platform Life Cycles:
- Drive buy vs. build decisions and vendor selection.
- Hold teams accountable for performing configuration and code reviews.
- Balance needs for functional and non-functional requirements (availability scalability, supportability, security, interoperability, etc.)
- Work across a number of technologies and advise on fit-for-purpose solutions.
- Work closely with the Security teams to identify and implement unique security requirements relevant for the Coinbase business model.
- Work closely with the Business Unit Engineering teams to understand, document and integrate the customer-facing Blockchain implementation with back-office Enterprise Applications.
- Budget and Headcount Management.
- Employee Career Coaching and Mentoring; growing the next generation of leaders.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- 10+ years experience with the above, including successful influencing skills at the executive level.
- Past experience with oversight for multiple parallel global platforms - Data Platforms, SFDC Sales Cloud and Service Cloud, Oracle Financials/SAP Financials, Workday, Mulesoft; Experience with integration of global systems and custom in-house products.
- Knowledge of Blockchain technology and infrastructure options.
- Clear communication and orchestration of technical resources.
- Significant vendor management skills including contract negotiation.
- Working knowledge of Jira, Jenkins, GitHub.
- Hands-on experience with Agile and breaking down epics into user stories.
- Hands-on code reviews and technical reviews in the last 5 years.
- Demonstrated ability to create order out of chaos, with minimal oversight.
- Expert knowledge of Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets, Wiki's.