Back To All Jobs Senior Backend Engineer - Identity
San Francisco, CA
Our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity to the world by building an open financial system. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone. Two principles guide our efforts. First, be the most trusted company in our domain. Second, create user-focused products that are easier and more delightful to use.
The Identity Team plays a critical role in executing on that vision-our mission is to swiftly and accurately answer the questions "who is this customer?" (i.e. authentication) and "is this customer who they say they are?" (i.e. verification). We take on hard engineering problems like secure user authentication, ID document verification using Machine Learning and biometric identity verification, with a focus on building high reliability services for product teams.
This is where you come in-you'll work closely with compliance, fraud, security, customer success, infrastructure and product teams to build Identity backend systems that will help us scale Coinbase.com to serve our next 100 million customers. If you're excited by designing scalable and secure services and delivering a great user experience around Identity authentication and verification, we should talk.
A little about our team: we're a full-stack team with experts in backend, frontend, product and design and we take efficient execution to heart. We are thoughtful about code quality, testing and architecture, we push code to production confidently multiple times a day, work primarily on microservices and have great monitoring, alerting and debugging tools for production. We value positive energy, continuous learning, and clear communication and are committed to building an inclusive environment for people from every background. Responsibilities
- Design, build and maintain backend services to solve problems like ID document verification, biometric identity verification, secure user authentication and watchlist reviews for both web and mobile teams.
- Write secure and high reliability services that talk to our Machine Learning systems, application services, data stores, and can withstand large fluctuations in traffic.
- Decompose our monolithic Rails app into microservices
- Articulate a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our backend systems.
- Work with engineers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Add positive energy in every meeting, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
Nice to Haves
- You have at least 4 years of experience in software engineering.
- You've designed, built, scaled and maintained production services, and know how to compose a service oriented architecture.
- You write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
- You're passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- You have experience decomposing a large monolith into microservices.
- You've worked with Golang, Ruby, Docker, Sinatra, Rails, Postgres, MongoDB or Redshift.
- You've built financial, high reliability or security systems.