Back To All Jobs Lead Counsel, Coinbase Consumer
San Francisco, CA
We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase in its rapid growth and international expansion. We are looking for exceptional counsel to lead legal matters for our Coinbase Consumer business unit, the world's leading, retail digital currency exchange and wallet service
Lead Counsel, Coinbase Consumer, is based in our San Francisco, California office and will report to our VP of Legal. You will work on some of the most exciting and challenging legal issues that arise at the intersection of consumer financial services and blockchain technology. This role will require creative and proactive legal guidance across a broad range of issues impacting a business that serves more than 20 million customers in dozens of jurisdictions around the world. As an integrated and embedded member of the Coinbase Consumer team, you will develop deep expertise with our consumer products and proactively assess legal risks and provide legal advice that will advance Coinbase's mission to create an open financial system for the world.
Collaborating closely with business executives and legal department colleagues, your responsibilities include taking a leadership role in advising our consumer business on all aspects of product development. You will also be responsible for providing prompt, incisive, and practical advice to the Coinbase Custody team on all general legal matters, working in close collaboration with in-house attorneys, outside counsel, and business partners across our institutional business units.
You'll be working in a team that operates very much like a rapid-growth startup, in a dynamic and intense environment with broad responsibility. As a whip-smart, forward-leaning, and innovative attorney, you will partner with the consumer team to ensure that we continue to operate easiest and most trusted platform to buy, sell, and manage digital currency. Responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations relevant to our retail digital currency business.
- Provide legal advice to various teams from engineering, corporate development, communications, and leadership from initial stages of product development through launch and continuing operations.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of legal requests and coordinate closely with legal department colleagues to ensure delivery of smart, practical advice.
- Continuously assess operating risks and legal needs.
What to Send:
- At least five years experience in a comprehensive product counseling role, preferably at a large consumer internet business.
- Familiarity with consumer financial services laws applicable to Coinbase Consumer, including consumer protection regimes administered by state banking departments, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Federal Trade Commission, and international equivalents.
- Strong interest in digital currency and enthusiasm to drive forward our product roadmap through creative and practical approaches to legal challenges.
- Management experience preferred. You must be prepared to assess a broad scope of risks faced by the business and help build the team as the business scales.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism required.
- Must be active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- A resume or LinkedIn profile.
- A few paragraphs describing your interest in and fitness for the role.