Back To All Jobs Senior Backend Engineer - Consumer
San Francisco, CA
Our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity to the world by building an open financial system. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone. Two principles guide our efforts. First, be the most trusted company in our domain. Second, create user-focused products that are easier and more delightful to use.
The Coinbase brokerage team is critical to executing on both principles. We're focussed on building the easiest and most secure way for people around the world to invest in cryptocurrencies. We tackle hard engineering problems to build delightful user experiences and to keep our users' investments safe.
This is where you come in - you'll build features that help users manage their portfolio on web and mobile, add new assets and help Coinbase expand to new countries to make cryptocurrencies more accessible. You'll also work with our security and risk engineering teams to build trust and safety features to protect user accounts, without compromising on the user experience. If you're excited by the problem spaces of designing performant services, delivering a great user experience, and building trustworthy financial systems, we should talk!
A little about our team: we're a cross-functional product team with experts in frontend, backend, product and design. We care deeply about our tools - we've built out a React based frontend, have continous integration with multiple daily deploys, and are working on decomposing our rails API backend into smaller, encapsulated services. We value positive energy, continuous learning, and clear communication and are committed to building an inclusive environment for people from every background. Responsibilities
- Build and maintain backend services to solve problems like secure user authentication, cryptocurrency pricing and portfolio balancing for both web and mobile teams.
- Design high reliability services that can withstand large fluctuations in traffic and trading volume.
- Articulate a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our backend systems.
- Work with engineers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our product and technical vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Add positive energy in every meeting, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
Nice to Haves
- You have at least 4 years of experience in software engineering.
- You've designed, built, scaled and maintained production services, and know how to compose a service oriented architecture.
- You write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
- You're passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
- You have experience decomposing a large monolith into services.
- You've worked with production scale RoR or React apps.
- You've built systems with financial or security constraints.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.