Back To All Jobs Legal and Compliance Officer
We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to expand the company internationally. We are looking for exceptional Legal and Compliance Officer to lead our legal team in Japan.
The Legal and Compliance Officer in Japan role will be based in our Tokyo office and will report directly to the VP of Legal in our U.S. headquarters (and GM of Japan)
Working closely with our Tokyo-based executive team, business colleagues, and U.S. legal/compliance colleagues, you will take a leadership role in our legal and compliance team in Japan. You will work on a broad range of legal matters, including compliance with applicable financial services laws and regulation, consumer protection law, customer disputes, and strategic initiatives of the business. You will also establish and manage legal policies and procedures, legal operations, and all legal vendor relationships in Japan to ensure that our business receives top-notch legal services and advice as we continue to expand in Japan. Responsibilities
- Work closely with business executives to lead the legal and compliance team to ensure compliance of Japan operations with applicable law, regulation, and virtual currency exchange best practices
- Interface with the regulator for obtaining license and reporting
- Coordinate all legal support among Japan operation. Includes responsibility for inter-company operating arrangements, commercial relationships, legal vendor relationships, assisting the business in establish frameworks for expansion of products to Japan, and coordinating support and advice with the U.S. based legal team
- Keep abreast of all regulatory and policy developments involving virtual currency in Japan and assist the company in its advocacy for effective regulation
- Continuously assess operating risks and legal needs and ensure the Japan's legal department is equipped to provide outstanding services as Coinbase's Japanese business continues to grow
- 8+ years of experience of legal/compliance in a regulated financial business in Japan. Strong familiarity in Japanese financial regulation and tax
- You must be prepared to assess a broad scope of risks faced by the business and be able to build the Japan legal team as necessary to scale with the business
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, and business pragmatism. You must be able to provide crisp and practical legal advice to business executives across a broad range of matters with limited supervision
- Comfort working independently in a fast-paced, growth-stage environment, subject to regulatory scrutiny, operating excellence, and Coinbase's demanding standards to operate the world's most-trusted virtual currency exchange
- Proficiency in both English and Japanese. You must be able to communicate seamlessly between Tokyo office and US HQ, be able to understand and explain the difference of regulatory environment
- Japanese lawyer license (bengoshi) and/or US legal license preferred
As we are launching the Japan business, our initial task is to earn a license. Japan is a heavily regulated jurisdiction and this role will be one of the key success factors for our Japan business. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.