Hong Kong, China
Circle is on a mission to make it possible for everyone, everywhere to create and share value. We're building a new kind of consumer finance. Unlike existing systems that are closed and proprietary, we use open internet standards and protocols, including the blockchain, to build our products.
We've already made sending money around the world free and as easy as sending a text with Circle Pay. With Circle Trade, we're market makers for the top crypto currencies and offer OTC trading services. Now, we're expanding our offerings by building a cryptocurrency investment product ( https://invest.circle.com ) to enable anyone to buy and sell cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
What does that mean for the global economy? It's more open. More inclusive. And more empowering.
The Senior Counsel will be the first legal hire in Asia, a region of significant growth and expansion for Circle's operations. You will be expected to provide solutions to complex legal problems in uncertain regulatory frameworks, advising the business on how existing or new blockchain-based product offerings can fit into existing regulatory schemes - and then execute on such plans. You will also need to be a Jack or Jill of all trades, providing legal guidance and execution on a wide range of non-regulatory matters - from entity formation and capitalization to commercial partnerships - as we look to rapidly scale operations in the region. You will be joining a fun, dynamic and growing global legal team working collaboratively on novel legal issues.
What you'll work on
- Advise and act as subject matter expert for Circle products and business lines on applicable laws and regulations throughout APAC
- Advise Circle products and business lines on building compliance programs
- Act as APAC lead for government and regulatory relations
- Lead APAC external counsel relationships and management
- Provide legal guidance on entity formation, hiring, partnerships, and scaling operations throughout APAC
What you'll bring to Circle
- Demonstrated expertise and leadership at an elite global markets firm or elite global law firm in the areas of markets regulation (min 3 year tenure showing progressive responsibilities and promotion. Ideal tenure 5+ years with one organization)
- Demonstrated experience managing matters before the Hong Kong Monetary Authority or the Hong Kong Securities & Futures Commission
- Demonstrated ability to manage legal matters outside of area of expertise, remaining flexible to manage any legal matters that may arise across all areas of the business
Circle was founded in 2013 by internet entrepreneurs Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville and we're backed by $140 million from investors including Jim Breyer (Facebook), Goldman Sachs, IDG Capital (Baidu, Tencent), General Catalyst (AirBnB, Snapchat) and Accel Partners.
Check us out at circle.com and download Circle Pay & Circle Invest for iOS and Android today.
We are an equal opportunity employer
and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.