Our client, a rapidly growing international FinTech company, that is creating the first open exchange for borrowing and lending digital currencies and assets, is seeking a Head of Risk and Compliance based in Gibraltar. As the Head of Risk and Compliance, reporting into the General Counsel, you will be responsible for ensuring that all elements of the business’s operations and its business transactions follow all relevant legal, regulatory and internal rules and that risks are managed appropriately.
You will be responsible for building and maintaining a robust risk management and compliance framework, aligned with the overall business strategy, and will play a critical role promoting the risk culture of the firm. Your ultimate goal will be to ensure the firm operates within its risk appetite at all times in a legal and ethical manner while meeting its business objectives.
This role provides a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Compliance and Risk professional to successfully deliver within a key management position inside an entrepreneurial FinTech company that possesses a culture promoting values of teamwork and innovation.
• You will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of an effective business-wide risk and compliance framework.
• You’ll provide independent advice and challenge in the development and maintenance of the business’s internal controls and monitor adherence to them.
• Drafting and revising company policies will be a key requirement of this role as will developing a business wide risk assessment and monitoring programme.
• You will proactively audit the business’s control processes, practices and documents to identify weaknesses.
• Evaluating business activities (e.g. investments) and significant transactions to assess compliance risk will be key to your success in the role.
• You will collaborate with HR as required in the development of an appropriate risk-aware culture and educate and train employees on relevant regulations and industry practices.
• Providing ongoing advice to the management team and all employees on questions of legal and regulatory compliance with you a critical part of the role.
• You will establish plans to manage compliance related incidents or compliance violation and will undertake all necessary research required to keep abreast of key developments in the global regulatory landscape.
What you’ll need to succeed:
• You possess proven experience as a Head of Compliance or Compliance Officer, with a focus on a risk-based approach to compliance.
• You have demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining risk management and internal controls environments within a company.
• Knowledge and experience of financial services regulation and legal requirements and controls would be highly advantageous.
• Strong working knowledge and hands-on experience delivering compliance outcomes in various operational areas including, but not limited to, AML, KYC, Data Protection.
• You possess strong familiarity with industry practices and professional standards and appropriate professional certification would be beneficial.
• You possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, which allow you to successfully build and maintain relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Integrity and professional ethics, business acumen, teamwork and attention to detail are all characteristics that you hold and value.