Head of APAC Compliance (Hong Kong)
Hong Kong, China
Circle is on a mission to make it possible for everyone, everywhere to create and share value. We're building a new kind of consumer finance. Unlike existing systems that are closed and proprietary, we use open internet standards and protocols, including the blockchain, to build our products.
We've already made sending money around the world free and as easy as sending a text with Circle Pay. With Circle Trade, we're market makers for the top crypto currencies and offer OTC trading services. Now, we're expanding our offerings by building a cryptocurrency investment product ( https://invest.circle.com ) to enable anyone to buy and sell cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
What does that mean for the global economy? It's more open. More inclusive. And more empowering.
As Head of Compliance for APAC, you’ll help enforce and promote an innovative culture of compliance for the Circle compliance group and you’ll support the entire Circle portfolio of products and services. You will work closely with an accomplished leadership team to help build and scale a global social payments company, and report to the Chief Compliance Officer.
*We are open to applicants in Hong Kong and elsewhere in the region. What you'll work on
What you'll bring to Circle
- Keep up to date with regulatory changes, including regional Directives and regulations, and implement relevant changes to the compliance manuals, policies and procedures for APAC products and services
- Conduct risk assessments and establish appropriate risk-based controls
- Monitor compliance with relevant law and regulation, including AML/CTF, information security, consumer protection and privacy laws as they relate to both fiat and cryptocurrency
- Work with corporate compliance to ensure that local requirements are aligned with corporate standards
- Provide ongoing reporting to Compliance and senior management
- Manage government relations efforts with relevant regulatory agencies, law enforcement and trade associations as primary point of contact
- Handle licence-related processes and reporting to regulators and other external third parties, such as auditors and banks
- Advise the business on all compliance-related matters, such as the regulatory implications of new and existing products, new market expansion, resolution of compliance-related incidents and gaps, enhancements to the firm’s compliance framework and the review/approval of business activities as appropriate.
- Act as the central point of escalation and contact for all AML/financial crime matters including onboarding new and monitoring existing clients, partners, vendors including due diligence and suspicious activity reporting and detecting and deterring financial crime.
- Lead employee training and maintaining a culture of compliance
- 10+ years’ experience as a regulatory Compliance Officer, having gained sufficient experience within financial services and/or payments companies
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with regulators and have gained good exposure to dealing with government agencies across the region. Wider international experience is a bonus.
- Proven ability to work within a complex organization to build productive relationships with multiple stakeholder groups
- Proven ability to understand and interpret international and local regulations and to map them against Corporate policies, standards, and procedures
- Success managing people and possess strong operational and project management skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit is essential for this role as this will be a hands on position and you will be expected to implement and maintain a compliance framework for the region
- International travel may be required
Circle was founded in 2013 by internet entrepreneurs Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville and we're backed by $140 million from investors including Jim Breyer (Facebook), Goldman Sachs, IDG Capital (Baidu, Tencent), General Catalyst (AirBnB, Snapchat) and Accel Partners.
Check us out at circle.com and download Circle Pay & Circle Invest for iOS and Android today.
We are an equal opportunity employer
and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.