Back To All Jobs Director of Engineering - Infrastructure
San Francisco, CA
Our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity to the world by building an open financial system. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone. Two principles guide our efforts. First, be the most trusted company in our domain. Second, create user-focused products that are easier and more delightful to use.
The infrastructure team plays a critical part in realizing that vision. We focus on leverage - building self-service infrastructure which acts as a force multiplier for engineers at Coinbase. We're the first line of defense when it comes to trust and security, and face novel problems building blockchain infrastructure in a highly secure environment. We work closely with engineering teams who need our support in domains like mobile, front-end, backend systems, security, data, machine learning and IT.
As the Director of Infrastructure, you will lead teams responsible for cloud infrastructure, developer tools and reliability. You'll be tasked with growing the team to meet the needs of a rapidly growing organization, and mentoring senior leaders on the team. You will be a champion of engineering standards and best practices, and be responsible for communicating a multi-year vision for scaling infra at Coinbase. Responsibilities
- Be accountable for infrastructure at the company level, ensuring that our business strategy is developed on strong engineering foundations.
- Set the strategy, roadmap and goals for the Infra team, working with leaders across the company.
- Hire great managers and individual contributors, scaling the infrastructure team rapidly to meet the company's needs.
- Develop and mentor senior engineering leaders, building a positive energy work environment where people can do their best work.
Nice to Haves
- You've led teams of 30+ engineers, building cloud infrastructure at scale.
- You're a strong written and oral communicator.
- You have proven experience attracting and mentoring great managers and senior IC's
- You have a deep understanding of distributed systems, data pipelines, security systems and building consumer applications at scale.
- You're passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- You've built infrastructure on AWS
- You've worked in high security, financial environments