Back To All Jobs Senior Engineer - Protocol
San Francisco, CA
Our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity to the world by building an open financial system. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone. Two principles guide our efforts. First, be the most trusted company in our domain. Second, create user-focused products that are easier and more delightful to use.
An open financial system powered by digital currency critically depends on protocols and infrastructure developed in collaboration with the greater community. The protocol team at Coinbase works with open-source development teams outside the company to scale, secure, and improve this shared infrastructure. On this team, you will make meaningful contributions to cryptocurrency protocols like Bitcoin and Ethereum and enable more people to access public blockchains. Members of the team have autonomy to choose projects they find impactful, and have the support and expertise of other team members working on a diverse set of problems in the space. You will also work with other engineering teams at Coinbase to understand and help solve blockchain and distributed systems problems that arise at scale.
A little about our team: we are passionate about decentralized technology and open-source development and take continuous learning to heart. We approach problems scientifically, using data, benchmarks, and simulations to construct and evaluate solutions. We remain open-minded when evaluating ideas and encourage multiple avenues of exploration to solve difficult problems. We also value positive energy, and clear communication and are committed to building an inclusive environment for people from every background. Responsibilities
- Build relationships with key open source communities, and identify opportunities where Coinbase can help.
- Work directly on existing open source protocols like Bitcoin and Ethereum, contributing in terms of code reviews and submissions, as well as research and design proposals.
- Add positive energy in every meeting, and make your coworkers and community feel included in every interaction.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- You have at least 2 years of experience in open source development.
- You've made significant public contributions to open source projects related to decentralized technology.
- You're an excellent written and verbal communicator, who can work in a distributed team.
- You write high quality, well tested code, and provide thorough reviews of code authored by others.
- You're passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.