Back To All Jobs Senior Backend Engineer (Scaling) - Consumer
San Francisco, CA
Our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity to the world by building an open financial system. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone. Two principles guide our efforts. First, be the most trusted company in our domain. Second, create user-focused products that are easier and more delightful to use.
The Coinbase brokerage team is critical to executing on both principles. We're focused on building the easiest and most secure way for people around the world to invest in cryptocurrencies. We tackle hard engineering problems to build delightful user experiences and to keep our users' investments safe.
This is where you come in - you'll help us scale Coinbase.com to serve our next 100 million customers by decomposing our monolith and building tools to help our product engineers ship more reliably. You'll horizontally shard our databases, build a unified caching framework, and find novel solutions to high-priority bottlenecks. If you're excited by the problem spaces of designing performant services, delivering a great user experience, and building trustworthy financial systems, we should talk!
A little about our team: we're a cross-functional product team with experts in frontend, backend, product and design. We care deeply about our tools - we've built out a React based frontend, have continuous integration with multiple daily deploys, and are working on decomposing our rails API backend into smaller, encapsulated services. We value positive energy, continuous learning, and clear communication and are committed to building an inclusive environment for people from every background. Responsibilities
- Articulate a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our backend systems.
- Decompose our monolithic Rails app into microservices
- Horizontally shard our MongoDB databases
- Build a unified caching framework to reduce load on our databases
- Design high reliability services that can withstand large fluctuations in traffic and trading volume.
- Add positive energy in every meeting, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
Nice to Haves
- You have at least 5 years of experience in software engineering.
- You've designed, built, scaled and maintained production services, and know how to compose a service oriented architecture.
- You have experience scaling web applications to tens or hundreds of thousands queries per second
- You write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
- You're passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- You've worked with production scale RoR oapps
- You've built systems with financial or security constraints.