Regulatory Compliance Counsel (Boston, San Francisco or New York)
Circle is on a mission to make it possible for everyone, everywhere to create and share value. We're building a new kind of consumer finance. Unlike existing systems that are closed and proprietary, we use open internet standards and protocols, including the blockchain, to build our products.
We've already made sending money around the world free and as easy as sending a text with Circle Pay. With Circle Trade, we're market makers for the top crypto currencies and offer OTC trading services. Now, we're expanding our offerings by building a cryptocurrency investment product ( https://invest.circle.com ) to enable anyone to buy and sell cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
What does that mean for the global economy? It's more open. More inclusive. And more empowering.
*This role can be located in Boston, San Fransisco or New York
As Regulatory Compliance Counsel, you will take on a leadership role within the legal team and work closely with Circle’s senior management to build the strategic roadmap for regulatory licensing of Circle’s existing and future product offerings. You will need to synthesize complex traditional regulatory frameworks and apply them to next generation blockchain and cryptocurrency-based financial products to help Circle remain compliant even in fast-paced and ever changing regulatory environments. You will be joining a fun, fast-paced and growing legal team working collaboratively together on novel legal issues.What you'll work on
What you'll bring to Circle
- Develop the regulatory and licensing strategy for key strategic initiatives and product offerings of Circle, including the launch of regulated financial products in the United States and internationally
- Manage license applications and ongoing legal obligations for multiple Circle product offerings. Serve as the point person for engagement with key regulators and as the internal resource on regulatory questions related to the licensing process
- Work closely with the Chief Compliance Officer to ensure compliance of all operations with applicable laws, including developing best practices in areas where the regulatory framework is undefined or developing
- Stay on top of developments in the blockchain and cryptocurrency ecosystem and advise management on new risks or opportunities
- Coordinate with management and the product team to understand the operational and product development impact of licenses and regulatory frameworks
- It is anticipated one of the first responsibilities of this role will be hiring and managing a dedicated paralegal or junior associate
- 5+ years’ experience at a regulated consumer financial services company, top tier law firm, and/or relevant government agency
- Passion and depth of experience with blockchain technology is preferred; willingness to learn more about blockchain technology and cryptocurrency is required
- Superior communication skills are crucial to this position. You should be comfortable engaging with the management team, external counsel and regulators on topics critical to Circle’s success
- Must be comfortable providing legal guidance on short timelines and with limited information and then helping to execute on the business decision – even if it involves legal risks
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics. Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Commitment to diversity and a respect for others
Circle was founded in 2013 by internet entrepreneurs Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville and we're backed by $140 million from investors including Jim Breyer (Facebook), Goldman Sachs, IDG Capital (Baidu, Tencent), General Catalyst (AirBnB, Snapchat) and Accel Partners.
Check us out at circle.com and download Circle Pay for iOS and Android today!