To achieve their mission, they're looking for a Security Engineering Manager to help grow their values-driven, all-remote team. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you'll act as subject matter expert for security concerns coming from internal and external source, support and coach teammates to grow in their careers and fulfill their responsibilities, and help align the team on clear incremental goals that are documented and are always up-to-date. You understand there's no such thing as a "safe system" - only safer systems.
Why this job is exciting
As a Security Engineering Manager, you will have more responsibility, upside, and growth potential than anywhere else otherwise comparable. They strive to make the best company where exceptionally talented people can thrive. If you join them, they know you'll make a big impact! Here's what they're thinking:
Within one month, you will…
- Begin establishing relationships with direct reports (1:1s) and peer groups.
- Begin to understand and align team goals and roadmap with engineering and company OKRs.
- Familiarize yourself with the Company's architecture and threat surface.
- Leverage technical expertise to guide team outcomes and mentor others.
Within three months, you will…
- Manage planning and outward facing communications about team status and progress
- Have a strong understanding of the business and what makes the Company/Start-up unique.
- Develop career plans for direct reports: candid feedback, timelines, actionable goals.
- Start developing security vision for team and company over the next 3-12 months.
- DRI of the teams roadmap and deliverables, enabling the team to achieve success.
Within six months, you will…
- Be seen as the SME to the business on security concerns and best practices.
- Execute on security vision to provide the company with the security posture needed to enable the business.
Within one year, you will…
- Own the resource and budget planning intra-team, and be aware of organization resourcing.
- Develop and execute a long term growth plan for security organization inside.
You are an experienced technical security leader that will support our security team in building a safer, more reliable and resilient cloud. The team's mission is to create and build confidence in the security of our applications by promoting and championing security best practices and procedures for both proactive and reactive responses. There's no such thing as a "safe system" - only safer systems.
- You have 5+ years of experience in a senior technical role implementing 360-degree security for SaaS applications.
- You have 2+ years of experience managing a team of at least 4 full-time software engineers.
- You have a breadth of knowledge in coaching and mentoring security engineers at all levels.
- You have experience promoting engineers through a career ladder that aligns with their career aspirations.
- You have hands-on experience, and deep knowledge of building security in public clouds.
- You have experience comparing different security tools, then implementing that tooling.
- You have a vision of what a successful "Security by Design" program looks like and steps needed to achieve it.
- You are able to clearly communicate processes, procedures and security knowledge in writing.
- You have experience breaking up complex technical problems into smaller achievable milestones that the team can iterate on.
Nice to haves:
- You keep up with new security technologies and trends.
- Experience securing on premise applications and deployments.
- Experience with Golang, Terraform, Typescript, GCP.
- Jenni Intro's you to the HM
- [45 min] HM intro call
- [90 min] Working session and Leadership interview
- [Async] Write and RFC that suggests a technology/tool for scanning vulnerabilities on our internal infrastructure.
- [1.5hr] Technical experience interview with security team members
- Present the RFC and Rubber Duck the details
- [30-45 min] VP of Engineering interview
- Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn't get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
They want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you're not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.