Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world .
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced lawyer to join our product legal team as Associate General Counsel & Director, Capital Markets. This is a highly visible role throughout Coinbase, which will require you to build strong relationships and collaborate closely with business and client services leads, cross-departmental team members and legal colleagues, taking a thought leadership role in advising on specific aspects of product development and implementation. What you'll be doing (ie. job duties):
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Help build a world class global product legal team, including mentoring and managing legal team members, hiring, and taking ownership of initiatives to scale the team.
- Lead a team that is providing full product life-cycle counseling for Coinbase's global Capital Markets products, for new and existing financial products, including in the digital securities trading and financing space. Ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in Legal and Compliance teams.
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction on novel digital currency and blockchain technology legal and regulatory issues focused on the institutional space.
- Lead complex and global cross functional efforts, effectively collaborating with internal stakeholders, other legal and business teams (Business Development/Sales, Product/Engineering, Compliance).
- Proactively solve process and other problems for the business as they plan and execute on an accelerated and aggressive global growth plan.
- Currently licensed in a U.S. state. JD or equivalent with 14+ years of legal experience and minimum 3+ years of in-house experience.
- You have a deep understanding of the legal structure and regulatory architecture of financial instruments (e.g., securities, commodities, derivatives, crypto), including trading, custody, and settlement of those instruments. You have substantial experience working on Broker Dealer and Future Commissions Merchant (FCM) structures and regulatory issues.
- You have experience navigating relationships with key U.S. regulators in the financial institutional space: E.g SEC, FINRA, DFS or CFTC. Some international regulatory experience would be ideal.
- You have expertise working with internal business and product teams in launching global financial products.
- You have the ability to expertly advise and provide big-picture thought leadership to internal teams on the strategy, development, integration and expansion of existing and new financial products. You are comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible as well as working in areas where regulation is still evolving.
- A strong interest in digital currency and blockchain technology.
- You have proven problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
- You have experience managing legal team members and building a world class and diverse legal team.