Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world .
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
The Regulatory Examinations Group provides centralized management of regulatory engagements (e.g., examinations, continuous monitoring, ad hoc requests) in the United States; tracks and reports on remediation of regulatory findings and develops and maintains enterprise-wide policies, processes, standards and tools for regulatory engagements and findings remediation. The Regulatory Examinations Group plays a critical role in facilitating the development and enhancement of positive relationships with, and the delivery of consistent and connected enterprise wide messages to its regulators. The Regulatory Examinations Group collaborates with other members of the Enterprise Risk Management, Compliance, Legal, Internal Audit, and business functions in the execution of its mandate.
The Senior Associate of the Regulatory Examinations Group supports the development, management, execution, and continued improvement of the Group, which encompasses the following: Coordination and management of regulatory examinations, which includes:
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Identification of responsible individuals and approvers for information requests and dissemination of first day letters (or equivalent) to relevant stakeholders.
- Provide materials and conduct meetings as needed to explain the examination/review scope, process, timing, roles and responsibilities, regulatory expectations and examination protocols.
- Create template cover notes/presentation materials for information requests.
- Track resolution of requests and raise any potential issues, delays, or blockers.
- Provide 2LoD review of responses and, as needed, prepare or revise substantive written responses to requests.
- Prepare high-level summaries of meetings.
- Act as a liaison between Coinbase and the regulators in all matters related to the examinations
- Collaborate with the stakeholders to resolve any issue or findings identified during the examination.
- Support preparation of management responses to examination reports.
- Coordinate and lead all other regulatory requests and activities.
- Coordinate and attend all meetings with regulators in connection with examinations
- Develop enterprise-wide policies, processes, standards, and documentation for all regulatory examinations, ad hoc requests, and other regulatory activities.
- Prepare business personnel for meetings with regulators.
- Communicate with the relevant businesses and functions regarding regulatory findings and remediation related to those findings
- Develop and maintain findings remediation module in Archer and track the full lifecycle of the remediation of regulatory findings from receipt through closure by the regulator.
- Develop and supervise enterprise-wide standards and processes for validation of remediation prior to submission to regulators.
- Develop and produce periodic reporting on regulatory examinations, findings, and remediation activity
- Provide strategic advice to stakeholders on matters related to regulatory engagements and findings remediation.
- Support partners by identifying mitigating facts and circumstances (as applicable) to respond to potential issues identified in the course of regulatory engagements.
- Provide training and/or awareness materials (as needed) regarding the best methodologies for regulatory engagements.
- Maintain a central repository of information and documentation related to examinations, including first day letters (or equivalent), documents submitted to the regulator, reports of examination (or equivalent), management responses, and presentation materials.
- Maintain findings and remediation information and documentation in a central repository (Archer).
- Identify reputational risks arising from interactions with regulators and raising as appropriate.
- Maintain awareness of regulatory activities and industry developments to identify trends and emerging issues that may have an impact on Coinbase and the Regulatory Examinations Group.
- Review processes and recommend areas of improvements.
- Experience in managing regulatory exams and relationships with regulators/examiners
- Demonstrated ability to independently and effectively interact with regulators/examiners
- Expertise with laws, rules, regulations, risks and typologies for financial services
- Significant experience with or previous exposure to internal control functions and financial services regulators
- Excellent written, verbal and analytical skills
- Must be a self-starter, flexible, innovative and adaptive
- Highly motivated, strong attention to detail, team oriented, and organized
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to articulate complex problems and solutions through concise and clear messaging
- Ability to work collaboratively with global partners in other functional units; ability to navigate a complex organization; and to influence and lead people across cultures at a senior level
- Flexibility to work extended hours to meet deadlines, when necessary
- Ability to act conclusively and run multiple projects simultaneously
- Awareness of regulatory requirements including local and US laws, international and industry standards
- Experience in compliance, legal or other control-related function in a financial services firm, regulatory organization, and/or legal/consulting firm
- Law degree preferred