Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here.
We are looking for an exceptional attorney based anywhere in the US to join our Strategic Advocacy team. You will work on some of the most exciting and challenging legal issues that impact fast-growth, late-stage private technology companies. Working closely with the business, legal, and compliance teams, you will be joining a team responsible for developing and executing proactive and reactive advocacy strategies for engaging with the Department of the Treasury, the Department of Justice, and other important partners, formulating our responses to new proposed guidance from those stakeholders, advising the business on cutting-edge legal issues relating to sanctions, anti-money laundering, and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT), and leading cross-functional projects. What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- Advising internal clients on cutting-edge legal issues relating to Treasury sanctions, anti-money laundering, and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT), including partnering with compliance and product counsel to assist them in structuring novel products and services in the cryptocurrency space.
- Formulating and executing proactive and reactive strategies for engagement with the Department of the Treasury, the Department of Justice, and other important partners.
- Representing the company in engagements with key external stakeholders.
- Leading and drafting responses to new proposed Treasury guidance, such as notices of proposed rulemaking, as well as proposed bills in Congress.
- Managing various cross-functional strategic projects and assisting in coordinating and tracking engagements as well as new legal and regulatory risk across Coinbase in partnership with legal, compliance and international.
- Managing outside counsel, including budgeting.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues in the legal and compliance teams
Nice to haves
- Approximately seven - ten years of relevant legal experience, including at a law firm or regulatory/government agency
- Exceptional legal writing skills
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Experience advising on engagement with regulators
- Excellent judgement, analytic rigor, and business pragmatism
- Must be active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States
- A whip-smart and detail-oriented attorney with solid management and leadership skills
- Interest in policy matters relating to the cryptocurrency industry