Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here. Crypto Team:
Adding crypto assets and digital currencies is core to executing on our vision and building our brand of trust. The Crypto team builds shared infrastructure to make Blockchains and Crypto assets available on Coinbase and our other business units. We take on hard engineering problems in cryptography, security, blockchain technology and distributed systems, with a focus on building high reliability services for product teams. What you'll be doing:
What we look for in you:
- Driving the engineering work to support new assets.
- Leading and growing the engineering team responsible for building and maintaining Blockchain software and integrations at Coinbase.
- Owning the continued development and support of the Rosetta open source framework.
- Breaking down complex projects into smaller pieces and iterating with the team on their design and implementation.
- Setting and maintaining Service Level Agreements and Reliability metrics for the systems that your team owns.
- Working closely with the Security and Infrastructure teams to ensure security and scalability of the systems that your team owns.
- Incident response, managing on-call rotation, and runbook creation.
- Project and capacity planning for your team.
- Mentoring Junior Engineering Managers and Tech leads.
Nice to haves:
- 5+ years of engineering management experience.
- Execution focused with an ability to navigate ambiguity.
- Past experience with shipping complex/multi quarter projects.
- Familiarity with Blockchains and Cryptography.
- Experience creating, delivering, and operating multi-tenanted, distributed systems at scale.
- Track record of maintaining reliability and uptime of mission critical systems.
- Excellent understanding of Infrastructure and Distributed systems.
- Being able to be hands-on when needed (e.g. take on-call rotations and review projects with engineers)
- Ability to do both long term thinking and short term planning.
- Being able to balance security and usability with novel approaches to isolation and access.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent .
- Embodying our values: Positive energy, continuous learning, clear communication, efficient execution, and commitment to building an inclusive environment
- Deep understanding of security best practices.
- Experience with Ruby or GoLang.
- Experience using Amazon Web Services, Lambdas, gRPC, Envoy or Kubernetes.
- Advanced degree (Master's and/or PhD) in math, computer science, statistics, engineering, or similar discipline.