Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of stablecoins and public blockchains for payments, commerce and financial applications worldwide. Circle's platform has supported over 100 million transactions worth tens of billions of dollars, with nearly 10 million retail customers, over a thousand businesses, while storing and securing more than $5 billion in digital currency assets. Circle is also the creator of USD Coin (USDC), the fastest growing, regulated, fully-reserved stablecoin, which now stands at a 2+ billion market cap and is adding more than 100 million net new digital dollars in circulation every week. Today, Circle's transactional services, business accounts, and platform APIs are giving rise to a new generation of financial services and commerce applications that hold the promise of raising global economic prosperity for all through programmable internet commerce. What you'll be part of:
With the mission To raise global economic prosperity through programmable internet commerce, Circle was founded on the belief that blockchains and digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient and integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people and businesses everywhere can more freely connect and transact with each other with new technologies for digital money. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people and companies everywhere.
Circle is looking for an exceptional Controller to lead the accounting team on all matters financial reporting and financial operations. Areas of focus include corporate accounting, overseeing accounts payable and accounts receivable, defining technical accounting policy positions, ensuring compliance with both US and international accounting standards and project managing financial statement audits for our consolidated multi-national and regulated business. What you'll work on:
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Oversee monthly and quarterly financial closes to produce high quality entity level and consolidated financial statements including variance analysis for management review.
- Lead and scale a team to prepare Circle for the next phase of its growth.
- Key contact for six annual global financial statement audits, scoping out audit project plans to ensure requests are provided on time and audit deadlines are met.
- Oversee corporate accounting for the company including stock compensation accounting, equity and debt financing, M&A transactions and valuation analysis.
- Ensure Circle's accounting policies around revenue recognition, digital assets and corporate matters are documented and in compliance with latest GAAP guidance.
- Ensure balance sheet reconciliations for customer and corporate cash, accrued expenses, prepayments, digital assets and intercompany activity are completed monthly to audit ready standard.
- Work cross-functionally with other departments at Circle to help ensure optimal financial outcomes, mitigate risk and work on strategic initiatives.
- Oversee procurement policy and accounts payable process to ensure vendors are onboarded, approvals and supporting documents collected and vendors are paid on time.
- Oversee accounts receivable and invoicing process for Circle API's subscription billing, ensure customer payments are reconciled, failed payments are followed up and manage collections risk as needed.
- Support tax requirements of the company including inputs to tax provision, tax returns, sales tax and VAT, annual 1099 reporting and transfer pricing.
- Support the compliance function with Circle's many financial license requirements via ensuring accurate financial reporting, capital adequacy and safeguarding customer funds .
What you'll bring to Circle:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
- 12+ years of accounting experience including 5+ years as a Controller.
- CPA qualified with experience in public accounting preferred.
- Experience managing multiple financial statement audits to hit filing deadlines.
- Exceptional track record in developing talent and scaling teams in fast growth environments (preferably working in a startup environment or with technology companies).
- Demonstrated experience in process automation and using technology to improve process efficiency.
- Strong time management, prioritization and organizational skills to manage accounting workflows and execute on cross-functional projects simultaneously.
- Experience working with multinational companies including multi-currency and consolidation accounting.
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and international financial reporting standards (FRS102), proven ability to draft complex accounting positions and memos.
- Ability to roll up sleeves on detailed work as needed as well as strategically manage workstreams.
- Strong written and oral communicator, comfortable presenting to management and audit and risk committee.
- Prior experience working in the fintech or payments industry would be highly sought after.