Consensys is looking for a Lead Engineer within our Identity/SSI R&D team to support the application of Ethereum-based technology towards the field of Self-Sovereign Identity (SSI). Research fields include the utilization of Ethereum as a decentralized identifier anchor for DIDs in first and second layer implementations, as an (anonymous) status store for verifiable credentials (valid or revoked) or as a platform for the value exchange of identity services ("Credential Payments or Marketplace").
Furthermore, a candidate will engage in the development of advanced SSI concepts and specifications, like agent development or secure decentralized storage.
Besides research and conceptual work, as lead engineer, the development of prototypes, demos, etc. is an additional core requirement of the role. This includes active code contributions to internal and external code repositories in the field of identity, the establishment of appropriate development processes, as well as, making and documenting software architecture decisions.
Moreover, Consensys is looking for a thought leader in identity who is able to independently drive development in close collaboration with internal and external partners. Responsibilities
- Perform market research to determine which product/projects or (emerging) technologies might best fit into ConsenSys products and/or compete with our offerings.
- Design & develop prototypes/demos to validate ideas and provide a 'de-risked' plan/concept toward the product teams for implementation.
- Identify high-impact technology areas that drive SSI application towards the Ethereum ecosystem.
- Collaborate with other ConsenSys teams to educate and leverage the latest developments across the SSI space in ConsenSys products/platform offerings.
- Contribute to internal and external development efforts that advance the application of SSI and the Ethereum blockchain.
- Apply cryptography developments of the overall Ethereum Ecosystem towards SSI applications (key types, sig/enc algorithms, verification methods, ZKP frameworks)
- Align the Consensys SSI efforts with the overall industry & research focus and prevent the accumulation of superseded technology in-house. (tech debt)
- Implement efficient software development processes within internal and external development projects that support the achievement of defined OKRs and reduce the overall project risks.
Open Source / Ecosystem collaboration
- Collaborate with partners in the Ethereum & SSI ecosystem to develop open-source solutions with strong community buy-in. Take leadership (e.g. in DIF) where it makes sense for ConsenSys' more active ownership.
- Provide relevant Ethereum related code contributions to ensure the most popular SSI technology stacks are compatible with Ethereum (mainnet & Besu)
- Drive open-source contribution towards Consensys or DIF managed code repositories. Engage contributions beyond the established SSI community.
- Extensive experience (10+ years) in Software Development & Architecture
- 2+ years' experience / proven track record in decentralized identity technologies (e.g. Verifiable Credentials, DID Layer 2 technologies like Sidetree, etc.)
- Leading through strong influence and collaboration across internal/external resources
- Ability to independently research problems and develop creative solutions to a wide range of complex problems while effectively identifying and dimensioning technical risks and generating mitigation plans.
- Proven track record of successfully developing new technology from the lab to a product.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Effectively make assumptions to develop implementation plans and accurate project schedules for large cross-functional projects/initiatives
- Ability to plan and lead projects.
- Bias for action and a results-oriented mindset
- Ability to work both independently and in team environments.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills.
- Work effectively with enterprise partners, external partners and vendors, and understand when to use these resources.