Location: San Francisco, CA
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here.
Coinbase is looking for a highly motivated accounting professional to join our Accounting team and play a key role in our continued growth and achievement of operational excellence. The Senior Global GL Operations Accountant must possess strong accounting and operational expertise, an ability to operate effectively in a rapidly scaling environment, and effective interpersonal communication skills.
Reporting to the Global GL Operations Manager, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for assisting in all areas of the company's operational accounting. This position will directly own capitalization of internally developed software, ensure completeness and accuracy of accruals through collaboration with various teams across the organization, assist with intercompany transactions and settlements; implement control and process improvements and assist in researching and resolving complex accounting issues as the arise. What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- Own and maintain various areas of the company's operational accounting, recording daily journals and creating valid supporting schedules.
- Manage accountability for accuracy through identification of process improvements, variance analysis, and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Assist with review of reconciliations and supporting schedules prepared by junior members of the accounting team.
- Perform transfer pricing, intercompany transactions, eliminations and consolidation using NetSuite ERP system.
- Record intercompany transactions and cash settlement and reconcile intercompany balances for international and domestic subsidiaries.
- Prepare foreign exchange gain/loss and translation adjustment reasonableness analyses.
- Collaborate with the Tax team on preparation of tax structuring and transfer pricing journal entries.
- Management and settlement of intercompany loans and outstanding balances, including coordination with Legal and Treasury on documentation, terms and appropriate interest rates.
- Cross-functional collaboration with FP&A, Tax, Treasury, and Source-To-Pay teams to ensure proper accounting and financial reporting.
- Prepare supporting documentation for external audits, including non-US subsidiary statutory financial statements.
- Participate in critical accounting projects, including the implementation of new system logics or enhancements.
- Provide support for internal and external audits related to specific areas of responsibility.
- Maintain compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures.
- Maintain up-to-date process documentation and procedures for all tasks.
- Support ad hoc financial information requests and analyses and other special projects as assigned.
Nice to haves
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field preferred; CPA designation a plus.
- 5+ years of experience, including 2+ years of consolidations process experience for a multinational company.
- A mix of publicly-listed or high-growth start-up company and public accounting is highly desired.
- Knowledge and experience with ASC 830 Foreign Currency Matter.
- Solid technical skills - Excel, ERP systems, analytic and extreme attention to detail.
- Knowledge of accounting Month-end close process.
- Impeccable organization skills and the ability to manage high volume workloads simultaneously in a fast paced, hyper growth environment.
- Proven ability to work well in a dynamic environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements, work autonomously and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent time and self-management skills, ability to prioritize and multitask to meet deadlines.
- Strong work ethic and team player.
- Multi-currency and intercompany accounting experience.
- Netsuite and Google Suite products experience a plus.
- Experience working in a SOX control environment.