Location: San Francisco, CA
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here.
We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase in its rapid growth and international expansion. We are looking for an exceptional IP and Product Paralegal to be a key teammate to the legal team and help support the company across a broad set of intellectual property and other product-development related legal matters affecting the world's most trusted digital currency business.
You will work on some of the most exciting and challenging legal issues that impact fast-growth, late-stage private technology companies. You will have a chance to make an immediate impact, have significant responsibility, and take a leadership role in (i) IP portfolio management, (ii) IP enforcement, (iii) international IP expansion, (iv) managing IP litigation, and (v) project management more generally. What you'll be doing (ie. job duties):
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Organize and assist in invention/patent harvesting activities.
- Preparation, prosecution, registration, and renewal support for patents and other forms of intellectual property.
- Maintain our intellectual property portfolio.
- Help create and manage our patent award program.
- Handle contract templates and guideline documents.
- Work with all areas of the business to ensure compliance with branding policies.
- Collaborate on identifying and implementing process improvements that increase efficiency within the legal team and help us scale.
- Identify workstreams, ensure cross functional partners are on track, and that dependencies are addressed.
- Assist in integration and maintenance of key systems that support the day to day operations of the legal team.
- 7+ years of relevant intellectual property and/or project management experience, ideally either a major law firm or in-house at a tech company.
- Deep understanding of best practices for IP portfolio and docket management.
- Experience in all phases of patent and trademark preparation and prosecution in the U.S. and in the WIPO. Substantial understanding of corresponding practices outside of the U.S. preferred.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and project management skills with an ability to build and scale programs and lead various initiatives, with a strong sense of accountability and pride of ownership.
- Ability to execute under pressure and within tight timelines while juggling multiple projects at once.
- Ability to size up unstructured or ad hoc situations and proactively create a strategy to build processes that improve accuracy or efficiency, while remaining flexible and adaptable.
- High level of accuracy, attention to detail, and excellent proofreading skills.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to review all of our job postings to minimize biased language. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws. Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how your data will be processed as part of the application procedure for application locations is available here: Ireland/EU , United Kingdom , and California . By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.