Location: New York, NY
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here.
Infrastructure is not a back office function at Coinbase. It is a product that we hold to the same quality standards as any other that we ship (in our case, with internal and open source customers). Developer productivity and happiness is our goal. We've built some of the most secure, containerized infrastructure running in the cloud and consider DevOps & automation a competitive advantage for the company. We're growing our team to continue protecting and scaling Coinbase's infrastructure while furthering our mission of making payments more open and efficient around the world.
In case you are wondering what technologies run behind Coinbase, we're powered by a combination of AWS, Docker, Terraform, Kinesis, PostgreSQL, Ruby, and Golang. Prior experience with these exact languages/technologies is not required.
We're looking for a Staff Software Engineer to balance the role of an individual contributor while also anchoring new projects, leading technical direction, and mentoring other engineers on the team. You'll be working with many stakeholders given the sheer number of systems we touch.
What you'll be doing:
- Scaling the persistent tiers that power a 12 factor, containerized micro-service architecture
- Providing durable and optimized storage services for internal applications
- Ensuring high availability across all backing services with well-exercised disaster recovery plans
- Provide self-service access for engineering teams to deploy, scale and access production infrastructure
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation
- Balancing security and usability with novel approaches to isolation and access
What we look for in you:
- Experience building and maintaining large-scale production systems
- Experience with backend development
- Hands-on coding ability
- Interest or passion for building solid, scalable infrastructure
Nice to haves:
- Experience using Amazon Web Services, Docker, Terraform, PostgreSQL
- Experience with host, network and account security in a VPC
- Experience deploying, integrating & securing service discovery
- Experience with immutable infrastructure
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to review all of our job postings to minimize biased language. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws. Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how your data will be processed as part of the application procedure for application locations is available here: Ireland/EU , United Kingdom , and California . By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.